Friday 4 November 2016

I had the exciting opportunity to attend INK LDN, the new international antiquarian and book arts fair in England.  The venue was a beautiful stain glass covered gothic mansion, which was featured in the popular television show Downton Abbey. There were many wonderful antiquarian books, manuscripts and artists books from European and American dealers. 

The booth I found most interesting was Abby Schoolman Books which I was familiar with as she represents my teacher Mark Cockram. Abby is a book dealer based in New York with a fantastic collection of artists books from living bookbinders including Timothy Ely, Sonya Sheats, Celine Lombardi and Mark Cockram. I found these books inspirational and the diversity of the work extremely interesting. They displayed a range of both highly conceptual designs and modern material use and techniques. My favourite binding was Mark Cockrams Sir Patrick Spens utilizing his invented technique of tesseri and cold gold work evoking imagery of water and ships.  I look forward to seeing Abby’s collection of bindings at The New York Antiquarian Book Fair in March.



Timothy Ely
Mark Cockram


Timothy Ely
Timothy Ely
Mark Cockram
Timothy Ely
Abby Schoolman









No comments:

Post a Comment